Monday 7 May 2007

Pink Monday


Pink is such a lovely colour. I think it would have to be my favourite. Baking day today - pink meringues for Mothers' Day. I am baking for the Mothers' Day Stall at our school on Thursday. Pink Meringues sell so well - they are so easy to package and so easy to make.

Alot of people seem to have a fear of making meringues, I used to as well, until I found this fantastic recipe, now if you promise not to tell my secret I will pass on the recipe -

2 large egg whites
1 and half cups of castor sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon brown malt vinegar
pinch of Cream of Tartar


Place all ingredients into a small bowl of electric mixer, turn on to low and then add 4 tablespoons of boiling water and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. At this stage I know it will look like it will never come together, but please persevere and trust me, I am not known as the meringue queen for nothing. Turn the mixer on faster and beat until it is stiff and glossy - If you own a kitchenaid - it doesn't take long maybe 5 minutes. If you have any other mixer you will need to beat everything for about 10 minutes.
Place teaspoons on lined baking tray and place in very slow oven (130C) or 110C - fanforced. One hour later turn off the oven and open the door and let the meringues cool before placing into air tight containers or beautiful jars like this one.

Good Luck. I have not had any flops with this.

PLEASE NOTE: to make them pink I use Queens Rose Colour food colouring (in Australia). Red food colouring does not give the same nice pink.

Here are some gorgeous roses from my garden. They smell just as good as they look, and they have a long vase life.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anastasia said...

oh yum! the merigunes look delicious - perfect shade of pink...bet they melt in your mouth!
have fun at the stall!

Flibbertygibbet said...

I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant meringues - now!

marianne said...

I will have to try this recipe out...and in pink of course! oh, and you have been tagged....

Di said...

Those meringues look great!! I wish I could be at the school stall to buy some!

Jade said...

I'm going to have to try your recipe now! They look yummy!

Corrie said...

great timing!!!!!!!!! i need something pink for keira's bday in 2 weeks! better get crackingon the weekend! oh and the roses...wish some of them were growing in my garden

ps I don't know how you did 3 kiddie winks with hand foot and mouth! one was enough but she was very kissy cuddly which was nice

Corrie:)
Corrie:)

Julia said...

Hi Cathy. Happy new year! I'm going to an Australia day party and have been asked to make a pav. Having never made one before, I'm a bit nervous and I was thinking of doing your tiered meringue with summer berries that Tamara covered on her blog last year. I've seen your recipe for the individual pink meringues...do you have quantities for the tiered meringue dessert? Many thanks! Julia x

Anonymous said...

how do you make them pink